Monday 15 January 2018

'COCO' REVIEW UK / DISNEY PIXAR


This review is spoiler free

January/February is always an exciting time for films, as we come into awards season and the best movies of the year are released - there's loads to choose from if you fancy a trip to the cinema, but a lot of the more award-sy type films can be a little heavy sometimes. So to have Coco released at the same time as films like Darkest Hour, and Three Billboards is perfect for a little light relief. Don't be fooled though - make sure you take a full pack of tissues in with you!


It feels as though in the UK we've been waiting an age for Pixar's newest offering - it seemed to come out everywhere else in the world in November of last year. It is finally released here in cinemas nationwide next week, although most cinemas had preview screenings this weekend just gone - one of which I made sure to make time for. I wasn't really sure what to expect from the film, as I'd tried to avoid reading anything about the plot - I only knew what I'd seen in the trailer, and that everyone I follow on Instagram from other countries absolutely loved it. I did know to take tissues in with me though, so made sure I was armed with a good wad of them! 

I must say, as much as I love Pixar sequels - Finding Dory and Toy Story 3 are two of my all time favourite films - you just cannot beat an original Disney movie; telling a brand new story, with brand new characters, and this one is no exception. We follow Miguel and how he comes to terms with having to choose between his love of music & his family - as he ends up in the Land of the Dead; learning about his family roots whilst trying to get back to the Land of the Living. The film takes place during Dia de los Muertos - Day of the Dead - in Mexico, which in itself is an incredibly interesting plot point. I knew absolutely nothing about this holiday, only that it exists - so to learn what it's all about, and how it's celebrated was such a bonus. The sentiment behind it is truly heartwarming - and although clearly modernised slightly in this film, I'm sure it manages to stay true to the heart of the celebrations. 

We meet lots of incredible new characters, some of my favourites being Dante, Imelda and of course Hector, and I found Miguel incredibly relatable. I think everyone can sympathise with wanting to appease family members, and sometimes not taking the path you would want to choose in doing so. I found the way that he behaved as a result of what his family was saying, was very realistic - especially for a child. 

Of course with a Pixar film, one would go into the cinema with quite high expectations for the visuals, and this film certainly ticked all the boxes! It is definitely one of the most stunning films Pixar has created - for me this title was probably held previously by The Good Dinosaur (although it is not my favourite), but Coco is truly beautiful. I almost felt like I wanted to pause the movie when we had shots of the Land of the Dead, so I could try and take in all the details and imagination that had gone into creating those scenes. 


Beautiful visuals, partnered with arguably even more beautiful music, made for a perfect pairing. The film's central song 'Remember Me' is a real tear jerker - especially when you find out the borderline heartbreaking meaning behind the song (it all gets it little deep - even for Pixar!). The song has already been nominated for Best Original Song at the Globes and the Critics' Choice Awards - winning the latter, and I expect it will be nominated for the Academy Award too. The film itself won Best Animated Feature at both ceremonies, and deservedly so. 

I will leave it there for this review, as I can't go on too much more without spoiling any plot points - it's definitely best to go in knowing as little as possible. I will say make sure to take plenty of tissues, because the last 20 minutes or so are truly some of the most emotional we've ever had from Disney or Pixar - and that's saying something!

Thanks so much for reading, and I hope you enjoy the movie x


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig