Tuesday 20 March 2018

POCAHONTAS LIMITED EDITION 17" DOLL / DISNEY STORE UK


Hi guys ☺

I'm really excited to be writing this post today - taking a closer look at the new 17" limited edition Pocahontas doll, which I was lucky enough to order on the website before it sold out.
It was my first time ever ordering a doll from the Disney Store website on release, so I was actually quite nervous (and definitely had some nightmares in the run up to it!). The only piece of advice I can give you, is to make sure you have an account set up and logged in already, to save you the faff of doing that once the doll is in your basket. Also, if your bank security allows it, have the card you're paying with saved to your online account so you don't have to input any card details. I was buying mine on my Mum's card as the doll is actually my birthday present, but her bank wouldn't allow me to save the details. So I had the stress of her bank phoning me mid-transaction with some 7 digit number that I had to input during the checkout process to actually complete the transaction... I definitely thought I'd missed out on the doll because of this! But luckily the Disney Gods were with me, and I managed to secure one. Also generally with releases (which always go live at 8am in the UK), the items don't always appear on the 'New' page, so it's best to use the search bar to search for the item manually and do it that way, as sometimes the items have sold out before they even make it onto the 'New' page! This goes for any popular release, not just dolls - so if you're missing out on things like the Mickey Memories plushes, then make sure you're doing all these things. Be on the website 10 mins before release, and the second it ticks over to 8am, hit up that search bar! 


Anyway, website advice aside... onto the doll! There was a lot of excitement throughout the Disney community when it was announced we were getting a Pocahontas 17" doll - as the general consensus is that she definitely does not get enough merch. As you probably know by now if you follow any of my social medias, Pocahontas is my all time favourite Disney film, and she is my all time favourite female lead (I can't call her a princess!). So I like most, was incredibly excited when it was announced, and was immediately nervous about managing to get my hands on one. She is limited edition of 4500, but only 1250 were released in all of Europe, so it was a safe assumption that she would sell out quickly. She was the standard price for the 17" dolls, which is £80. 

When Disney released the first image of the doll, there was mixed reactions amongst collectors - but I for one was instantly in love. I thought she looked beautiful in the images, and I know that the dolls always look even more gorgeous in person, so I had very high hopes! I think some people weren't expecting her to be quite such an interpretation of the character in the movie, but more of a copy. However I absolutely love the route they've gone down with this one - she is culturally appropriate, and it seems like the designers have spent quite a lot of time researching native American culture to ensure that she is in keeping with what would have been at the time. 

My only jibe, is that she does look darker in some of the promo images released, so it would have been nice if her skin tone was slightly darker than it actually is. Other than that, she is perfect - there are so many details in this doll that you could genuinely spend so long just taking them all in. She has a beautiful ombre cape, which is supposed to represent the colours of the wind. Her hair is perfectly positioned as though it is being blown behind her, and she has a gorgeous long braid hanging down, along with a feathered headband.

Where do I even start with her dress? Just have a look at the images yourself to see how intricate it is! It's so, so beautiful, and I am living for the fact they've added leg tattoos. The box itself is just as beautiful as the doll - metallic red fading into a blue colour - I couldn't tell from the pictures that it was going to be metallic, I only realised when I saw it in person so that was a nice surprise! They've added tattoo details to the box and the plastic sleeve (sorry for the reflective images - it's so difficult to photograph the sleeve!).

As always with these product posts, I'm not going to waffle on much longer, I think the pictures speak for themselves. Thank you Disney for finally giving Pocahontas the 17" treatment - this has certainly made me very excited to see Mulan later in the year!

What do you think about the doll? Is there anything that you really don't like about her? Let me know in the comments!

















Who would you like to see get the 17" treatment in the future?

Thanks for reading x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig